Friday, January 8, 2010

Greetings from freezing London!

Shiver...

Greetings and Salutations!

Welcome to my blog. I will do my best to make it interesting and informative for those of you who want to keep up with me. And if you dont find it interesting, thats just too bad. : )


I dont have much time to write a lot at the moment so just a couple of things for those of you who were dying to know where I disappeared to. So here is just a bit.


Weather: I am currently sitting my flat in a coat, scarf and gloves as the heating is not working properly and the people that are can fix it cant get here because of the snow. London has been in a state of confusion and disrepair due to this snowfall. They really dont know how to function. That said... I absolutely love it here. I am more than happy to watch the snow fall and adding colorful scarves to any outfit is awesome.

Flat and people: I just got my internet here at Queen Mary and that is more than can be said for a number of my friends. I already have a little group here comprised of 3 of my flatmates (all American, and two who are from SC!) and maybe 5 or 6 others. We have yet to meet any of our British flatmates because they are still on holiday. They should be here within with next day or so. My room is pretty small but I dont have a roomie which is fabulous. I also have my own bathroom, though the floor flooded when I showered this morning because the shower is not a separate entity. That was lovely...not.

Classes: Schools begins on Monday but I dont think I have any until Tuesday or Wednesday. I am currently registered for two film classes and two history classes. The film classes I was already registered for so that makes me happy. The history classes on the other hand were not my first choice. All the history classes I was interested in were closed or not open to the study abroad students- not cool, there were some great WWII classes offered, damn. But well see how they turn out so more details on those later.

Food and drink: Have I mentioned that Im legal here? So exciting! I am a big fan of cider, Strongbow in particular, and am having a great time trying ales and bitters from around the country and Europe as well. My friends and I went to one of the local pubs last night- where my Dad and I had had lunch earlier- and the bartender remembered me. I think he and I will become good friends. We had a great time, even though we went out at about 530 and left by 9. It was good fun to realize that we were leaving the bar hours before we usually go out at home. The food has also been good. Im excited for tonight because we are heading to Brick Lane, the Bangladeshi neighborhood of the East End of London which supposedly has hundreds of restaurants. Speaking of which I need to go get ready.

More updates and pictures coming soon. The weekend has no plans yet so I will be back here.

Love to all. Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. sam, im so glad youre doing this blog, can't wait to hear more! It all sounds so exciting and you sound like you love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, this is fabulous, lovelovelove!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha
    Sounds like fun but I like weather back home much better. The flight home was not crowded but still the same weak selection of movies but the food was better. enjoy the weekend. Love Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sammy!! it all sounds so amazing...the weather does sound very..uh...terrible.im sittin in my house in 75 degree weather haha...i miss you already and i wana skype with you asap! love you sammy cant wait to hear more details about london!!....ps..just started a new blog too!!! cjlovesfood.blogspot.com...check it out mama! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strongbow is the best! You should also try Magner's cider too. they taste very similar. If you get a chance, you should totally go to one of my all-time favorite museums, the Victoria & Albert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete